At Tennessee Roofing and Construction, we know roofs! From shingle roofs to metal roofing to commercial roof repairs, our expert team is versed in every aspect of this industry. One roofing trend that has gained recent attention and popularity is the idea of green roofs. These roofing systems are not only green, but also they are living.
What is a Green Roof?
Along with environmentally friendly materials, a green roof or eco-roof involves growing plants on rooftops, such as a roof garden, in effort to restore the area’s natural footprint that was eliminated during the building’s construction. While generally limited to flat rooftops, a green roof can be implemented on most commercial rooftops; commercial structures are often park-like for public recreation. One of the most famous American green rooftops is the one at Chicago’s City Hall, which has essentially launched an eco-movement of the urbanized concrete jungle.
Benefits of a Green Roof
Green roofs come with a whole slew of benefits that make them a great option for certain buildings and applications. These benefits include:
- Increasing the lifespan of your roof
- Reducing energy costs with the natural insulation plants provide
- Avoiding the need for complex drainage systems due to absorbed storm water
- Mitigation of water runoff and sewer overflows
- Production of oxygen
- Potential for added shade
- Recreational area for people and animals
- Improvement of air quality and reduction of the Urban Heat Island Effect, a condition in which metropolitan areas emit, absorb, and trap heat as a result of excess energy consumption.
- Promotion of environmentalism while potentially eliminating some of the problems that come with conventional roofing systems
- Reduction of energy consumption that contributes to global warming
Depending on region, climate, and irrigation, a variety of shrubs, grasses, and other types of vegetation can be planted to add life to an otherwise unwelcoming rooftop. These green roofing systems not only render spaces more efficient, but also beautify them and add usefulness. All this being said, just like any roof, the layers of a green roof must accommodate for drainage in order to protect the structure by way of advanced waterproofing materials. One such material, Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO), features membranes that are resistant to high winds and hail damage, serving to improve long-term durability and weatherability of the roofing system on the whole.
Your Chattanooga Roofing Contractors
Our commercial Chattanooga roofing contractors at Tennessee Roofing & Construction offer advanced roofing solutions for any variety of problems clients may face. TRC provides quick response and cost effective pricing for repair and maintenance activities for our commercial, hospitality and industrial customers, and we can also work with customers to implement new roofing systems and solutions that make most sense for their specific applications.
Tennessee Roofing & Construction provides commercial roofing services in and around the Tennessee communities of Chattanooga, Hixson, Cleveland, Dayton, Dunlap, Knoxville, South Pittsburg and Kimball. We also service Dalton and Trenton Georgia, and Bridgeport Alabama. Call us at (423) 842-8826 or contact us online for a free consultation today.